Many studies have shown that individuals who are atopic, already suffer from asthma, allergies, or have a compromised immune system and occupy moldy, damp buildings or structures are at an increased risk of health problems such as toxic or inflammatory responses to mould spores, and metabolites.
By far, the most common mold related health problem is an allergic reaction. Other issues can be respiratory as well as immune system responses including infections, respiratory symptoms, amplification of asthma, and on a rare occasion hypersensitivity pneumonitis, chronic rhinosinusitis, allergic alveolitis and allergic fungal sinusitis.
These severe reactions are rare but possible. An individual’s reaction to mold depends on their sensitivity as well as other health conditions, the amount of mould present, length of exposure and the type of mould.
Some moulds also produce mycotoxins that can pose dangerous and possibly deadly health hazards to both humans and animals.
The term “toxic mold” refers to moulds that produce these mycotoxins, such as Stachybotrys Chartarum, this is not exclusive to all molds however. Exposure to high levels of mycotoxins can and have lead to neurological problems and in some cases, death.
Prolonged exposure, e.g., daily workplace exposure, can increase the danger and be particularly harmful.
The five most common types of indoor mould are Penicillium, Cladosporium, Alternaria, Trichoderma and Aspergillus.
Damp, humid and moist environments which promote active mold growth can also produce bacteria and help release Microbial volatile organic compounds also known as an MVOC.
Mold Exposure Symptoms May Include:
Mold is a very serious issue in your home. Please Contact Us Directly if you Suspect a Mold Issue. Simply fill out the contact form below or simply call us directly.